Spiders are actually one of the most feared home invaders that exist. There is more fear around spiders than any other pest. The fear of spiders is called arachnophobia and it is one of the most common fears that exist.
People all over the world suffer very badly from an intense fear of spiders. For some people this fear can become completely debilitating. This is not just a fear which is restricted to females; there are many men worldwide who are just as scared of spiders as women may be.
The problem with spiders is that while some may be harmless others are extremely poisonous. If you have a fear of spiders, the chances are high that regardless of if they are poisonous or not, you will not want to get close enough to them to examine them.
How do I get rid of spiders?
One of the best ways to get rids of spiders is to prevent them from invading your home in the first place. Obviously this is not always a practical solution and therefore a combination of techniques and methods can be used.
Some methods to prevent spiders entering your home:
- Make sure that you keep your porch light off.
- Make a spider repellent.
- Make use of natural spider killing mechanisms.
- Try mixing water with peppermint tea, tea tree oil, citronella or lavender. These have been found to be very effective in killing spiders.
- Set up spider baits in your basement.
- Make sure to clean your home on a regular basis.
- Dust off all existing spider webs to stop them multiplying.
- Make sure to spray air vents where spiders can enter.
- Try to reduce the number of other insects around your home, spiders are predators and they eat other insects, the less other insects you have, means the less spiders you will attract into your home.
- Be sure to vacuum on a regular basis as this removes spiders, webs and egg sacs.
- Watch videos online and find new ways to trap spiders.
- Read up as much as you can about their behavior so you can outsmart them.
- Make use of insecticides.
Above all it is very important to try and stay as far away from spiders as possible. Even if you do not have a fear of them, it is best not to go anywhere near them. Always approach a situation that involves a spider with caution. Even though some spiders may be harmless there are many which are poisonous.
One good aspect about spiders is that they are not insects which live in big groups, but are rather lonely, isolated creatures. They have a general tendency to operate all on their own and they really do not like to share their food.
Therefore you may be able to get lucky and kill one in isolation. Sometimes just one may get into your home and there won’t be anymore. It all depends on the situation. If you are extremely scared and live alone, it may be best for you to call in professional pest control specialists who will help you eradicate the spiders.